The Candlelight Concert Society (Candlelight) is a Maryland based concert presenter, offering professional world-class chamber music concerts, children’s programs, community outreach programs, master classes, and pre-concert lectures and discussions.
Chamber Music Series:
Since 1972, The Candlelight Concert Society has presented the finest in Chamber Music concerts. It is now ranked among the best professional series in the United States. Based in Columbia, Maryland, Candlelight has grown into a nationally recognized cultural institution. The Candlelight Concert Society is recognized and respected by musicians, arts managers, and classical radio listeners nationwide. Candlelight is proud to support rising young stars of the classical music world and is privileged to be among the first to present first prizewinners of several international competitions such as:
Borciani International String Quartet Competition
Chesapeake International Chamber Music Competition
Naumburg International Competition
Young Concert Artists International Auditions
Performing Arts for Children:
Candlelight offers imaginatively conceived programs to spark a child's interest in the performing arts. From its inception, Candlelight has presented a variety of performing arts programs for children and their families. Chamber music, puppetry, mime, theatre, and ballet performances provide opportunities for young audiences to experience the pleasures of the performing arts.
Candlelight presents music performances and lecture-demonstrations for elementary, middle school, and high school students. These programs offer opportunities to meet, hear the music and speak with outstanding musicians. Informative pre-concert lectures or open rehearsals give concert audiences insights into the evening's repertoire.
Community Outreach Program:
Candlelight's community outreach program offers mini concerts in venues outside the formal concert hall, such as hospitals, schools for exceptional children, public libraries, senior centers, and retirement communities.
Among the renowned musicians who performed for the Candlelight Concert Society are:
Beaux Arts Trio
Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet
Brazilian Guitar Quartet
Dame Emma Kirkby
Dawn Upshaw, Soprano
Emerson String Quartet
Fine Arts Quartet
Guarneri String Quartet
Leipzig Gewandhaus Quartet
Los Angeles Guitar Quartet
Marilyn Horne, Mezzo-Soprano
Menahem Pressler, Pianist
Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg, Violinist
New York Chamber Soloists
Philharmonia Quartett Berlin
Red Priest – Early Music Ensemble
Richard Goode, Pianist
Richard Stoltzman, Clarinetist
Tempesta di Mare – Early Music Ensemble
The Billy Taylor Trio
The Waverly Consort – Early Music Ensemble
Tokyo String Quartet
Yo-Yo Ma, Cellist
The mission of the Candlelight Concert Society is to present the finest national and international chamber music ensembles and soloists, to provide young people with a stimulating introduction to the performing arts, and to reach out to those with limited opportunities to experience the arts.
- Our musicians and performing artists
- Our audience, both loyal subscribers and discerning individual ticket purchasers
- Our volunteers who support the production of concert performances and office administration
- The diversity of our artists, composers, and audiences
- Keeping our outstanding programs affordable and accessible
- The educational benefits of master classes and pre-concert lectures and discussions
- Special performances designed for families with children
- Outreach performances for school-aged audiences, focused community groups, and those whose opportunities to experience the arts are limited by economics or disability
- The generous support of individual donors, the corporate community, and performing arts granting organizations
- Individuals with a shared vision who serve as our Board of Directors
Please consider adding a donation to your shopping cart. Even small contributions can help us continue to present quality concerts in Howard County. Thank you.